Historical Richboynton Road Dover, NJ
The commercial history of Dover, New Jersey was recognized as one of the most important 19th century industrial town’s in Morris County. Dover illustrated the lifestyle of a working class community beginning in 1827. The town of Dover was founded by two New York entrepreneurs Blackwell and McFarlan. In 1831 the Morris Canal was completed to Newark and was built to take Pennsylvania coal to NYC. Since it passed through Dover this spurred an industrial boom along its banks. Dover was a hub for shopping, churches, banks, hotels, theatres, public buildings and commercial establishments. The presence of three iron furnaces and a rolling and slitting mill cementing Dover’s role as a manufacturing and commercial center. The iron and steel factories turned out finished products “Made in Dover, N.J.” was an inscription read around the world that put Dover on the map.
The 143,000 sq ft warehouse located on Richboynton Road and currently owned and operated by Fulco Fufillment Inc (FFI) was originally a booming manufacturing facility and a large contributor to putting Dover on the map. The Richard and Boynton Stove Works, manufactured home heating furnaces. They were known for pioneering the 4-legged cooking range, called the “Perfect Cooking Range.” The firm was established in 1837 when it moved to Dover from Brooklyn. At its peak, the company employed over 800, when running full time.
A generation later, in 1848 the Morris and Essex Railroad was extended west into Dover, further stimulating the town’s growth into a central marketplace. When incorporated in 1869, Dover had 3,300 residents.